This minigame has been rated as High Risk. See the minigames page for a definition of high and low risk.
The kingdoms of Asgarnia and Misthalin have banded together to craft an early warning system - a beacon network - due to increasingly suspicious activity in Morytania and the Wilderness. It runs along the western and southern borders of the Wilderness, and as far east as the Temple on the River Salve. After completing the All Fired Up quest, King Roald will ask for your help in testing out this network by lighting all the beacons. There are a total of 14 beacons, and to receive the rewards, a certain number of them must be burning at the same time. There are rewards available from King Roald for lighting 6, 10, and all 14 beacons at once, as well as a large chunk of firemaking experience to be gained.
Working the beacons
You can light beacons by using twenty logs of the same type on them, and then using a tinderbox. It is highly recommended to place all of your logs in all of the beacon stands first, and then light them all in a row - this saves time, as the beacons only stay lit for so long, depending on the type of logs used. It is also recommended to use high levelled logs (at least maple or higher).
You can also give the guards at many of the beacons five extra logs of the same type on the beacon to keep it going for longer, although some of them will require payment in the form of an item.
To do it as quickly as possible, you should make use of various teleports and beasts of burden from the summoning skill. You may light the beacons in any order.
Each beacon requires a firemaking level. See below for a table of these values, along with items the guards may request and other skill levels and quests required to light the beacons.
There are many setups that work effectively for this minigame. While the setup below is optimal, it is entirely viable to replace parts of it to suit various needs and limitations of each individual player.
Other Helpful Things
*Upon completion of the Elite Varrock task set, you gain access to the log storage boxes next to each beacon in the network. You can store up to 60 logs of the same type in each box. You can only deposit and withdraw them in sets of 20. One particularly useful aspect about these boxes is the ability to deposit noted logs into the box and take un-noted logs back out. This will save you many bank trips.
**Note that it is possible to boost your magic level to cast this spell. The standard Magic Potion boosts 5 levels. However, the only purpose of using Lunars is to have Teleport to Ice Plateau. Instead of casting it yourself, you could instead arrange for a friend to cast the Telegroup spell, which brings you to the same destination.
***This guide assumes the use of a War Tortoise.
1. Prepare all beacons first. Gain access to each beacon and give the tenders any items they may desire. ALWAYS keep some sort of item to teleport you to a bank during this part. An Amulet of Glory or Ring of Duelling is recommended.
2. Run to the Salve River beacon, load it with logs.
3. Run to the Rag and Bone Man beacon, load it with logs.
4. Teleport to a bank.
5. Teleport to the Lumberyard, run north, jump the Wilderness Wall. Load the Jolly Boar Inn beacon.
6. Run west to the next beacon, load it with logs.
7. Use your Duelling Ring to teleport to Mobilising Armies.
8. Use the Spirit Tree to teleport to the Grand Exchange. Hug the north wall and go under the tunnel on the North-West corner. Jump the Wilderness Wall directly north, without crossing the river.
9. Run east to the Grand Exchange Beacon and load it.
10. Use your Amulet of Glory to teleport to Edgeville, load the beacon.
11. Use your Combat Bracelet to teleport to the Monastery. Run to the Black Knights' Fortress and load the beacon.
12. Use your Combat Bracelet to teleport to the Warriors' Guild. Run to the Burthope beacon and load it.
13. Run to the Rogues' Den bank, or teleport to a bank.
14. Use your Goblin Village Sphere to teleport to Goblin Village, run to the beacon, and load it.
15. Teleport to Trollheim, run northward to the Godwars Dungeon area and load the beacon. You may need to drink a dose of Super restore before loading the beacon. Be sure to restore your stats after you leave, if necessary.
16. Teleport to a bank.
17. Teleport to Trollheim, cross the obstacles east of the Mountain and load the Trollheim beacon.
18. Cross the agility obstacle into the Wilderness. Run south and load the beacon.
19. Teleport to a bank.
20. Teleport to the Ice Plateau (by your own spell or another players'). Load the beacon.
21. Run south, past the gates, to the Chaos Altar. Load the beacon.
22. Run south and teleport to a bank, or purposely die from the King Black Dragon or a Revenant.
Lighting the Beacons
1. Go to Oo'glog and grab a tinderbox from the bank or the general store. Keep this tinderbox with you the entire trip. Then, take a dip in the Salt Water Pool at Oo'glog. This will ensure you will be constantly running and typically does not run out until you're finished lighting the beacons. Go to Canifis.
Note: The first time you give logs to a tender, use the logs on him or her and select the "Yes, and do not ask me for confirmation again" option. For the rest of this guide, it is implied that you give logs to the tender when you light a beacon (except on the final two beacons, which do not have tenders).
2. Run to the Salve River. Light the Beacon.
3. Use the Bonesack (e) to teleport to the Rag and Bone Man (or just run there) and light the beacon.
4. Use the Lumberyard Teleport Scroll to teleport to the Lumberyard. Jump the Wilderness wall and light the Lumberyard beacon.
5. Run west and light the Varrock Palace beacon.
6. Continue running west and light the Grand Exchange Beacon.
7. Use your Amulet of Glory to teleport to Edgeville and light the beacon.
8. Use your Combat Bracelet to teleport to the Monastery, run to Black Knights' Fortress and light the beacon.
9. Use the Goblin Village Sphere to teleport to Goblin Village and light the beacon there.
10. Use your Combat Bracelet to teleport to the Warriors' Guild. Equip your Amulet of Catspeak while running to the Burthope Beacon and light it.
11. Teleport to Trollheim, cross the obstacles east of the Mountain and light the Trollheim beacon.
12. Cross the agility obstacle into the Wilderness. Run south and light the beacon.
13. Teleport to Trollheim. Go north to the God Wars Dungeon area and light the beacon there, drinking a dose of Super Restore Potion if necessary.
14. Teleport to the Ice Plateau (by casting your own spell or through another players') and light the beacon.
15. Run south past the gate to the Chaos Altar. Light the beacon.
Congratulations! You have successfully lit all 14 Beacons!
Tips and Tricks
Although it seems daunting to get to so many places in a brief amount of time, it's achievable. Some players prefer to do a practice run with cheaper logs, just to familiarise themselves with the route.
You can repeat the beacon lighting process as many times as you like for this experience.
There are also three unique rewards that can be claimed from King Roald for lighting a total of 6, 10, and 14 beacons, respectively. If you lose these, you must repeat the lighting process to regain them.
Original Guide by: tryto
Thanks to: Aurhora, Headnazgul, iwatake, Jasquith, Mercifull, Suiku_fv, Tusis
Correction thanks: A Gardener, Applejuiceaj, chams10, chenw2, Jaffy1, Lady_Shahdie, mariquin, niccosdad, pokemama, sithlord_man, Speedyshel, Vulxai, Zaaps1
Last updated by: Warriormonkx
Last updated on: 15-04-2014
What do you think of the new skillcape designs?
Help keep Tip.It alive, donate a bit to our site:
© 1999 - 2015 RuneScape Tips, all rights reserved. RuneScape® and Jagex® are trademarks of Jagex Ltd © 2000 - 2015 Andrew Gower.