Chaos Elemental Hunting Guide
||This area has been rated as EXTREMELY HIGH-RISK. Extra care should be taken at all times while facing the Chaos Elemental.
||This activity supports the Grouping System.
The Chaos Elemental is a unique level 305 monster that floats in the north-eastern part of the Wilderness, near the Rogues' Castle. It has a variety of strange attacks which make it a fun and challenging fight. It can teleport you several squares away, and even unequip your items. The Chaos Elemental uses multi-target prayer-penetrating Ranged and Magic-based attacks. In this guide, you will learn ways to deal with these annoying effects. You will learn the basic setups for hunting the Elemental, both with a team or going solo. Without taking proper equipment, you may find yourself in a bit of a chaotic situation. With some skill and luck, you may receive some valuable items for your efforts!
|Combat Level: 305
||Life points: 2500
||Maximum Hit: 284
||Attack Style(s): Special
|As this is a boss monster, it is not a very efficient training method. The Chaos Elemental has a very high defence and is therefore very slow experience.
|The drops from the Chaos Elemental are very random. You receive two drops per kill. The unique drop is the Dragon Two-Handed sword, which is a powerful weapon among mid-level players.
|The Chaos Elemental has many unique attacks. Its attacks are not limited to any particular style, although it is mostly magic-based. Protection prayers will not fully absorb damage! One of its attacks will teleport you to a random place nearby and another will unequip some of your gear, unless your inventory is full.
|Dragon 2H Sword
Minimum and Recommended Levels
The following recommendations are by no means a requirement. It depends on your individual ability, and the amount of players participating. Below are some guidelines to take into consideration:
The most effective way to hunt the Chaos Elemental is Range, but there are melee alternatives.
Minimum Levels for Ranged
- 70+ Ranged, Black Dragonhide is almost a must.
- 50+ Magic, Magic Defence is key to surviving a long time.
- 60+ Defence, Defence in general is important to deflect some of its hits.
- 37+ Prayer, Protect from Magic is a must.
Recommended Levels for Ranged
- 80+ Ranged, This is especially helpful if you will be using Void.
- 70+ Magic
- 70+ Defence
- 70+ Prayer, Blessing is a very helpful ability to have in a team.
Minimum Levels for Melee
- 75+ Attack and Strength, Godswords seem to be very effective weapons against the Chaos Elemental.
- 50+ Magic
- 60+ Defence
- 37+ Prayer
Recommended Levels for Melee
- 80+ Attack and Strength, the more powerful, the better.
- 70+ Magic
- 70+ Defence
- 70+ Prayer
Of course it is possible with lower levels, but such kills will be extremely slow and a waste of supplies. If you plan to solo the Chaos Elemental, 90+ Stats in either Range or Melee are highly recommended, depending on what you use.
Preparing for Battle
Be aware that the Chaos Elemental is located in Deep Wilderness, and you are thus at the mercy of any player-killing party that may pass by, so be prepared for a quick escape.
What To Bring:
- Games necklace - for quick banking and transport.
- Rune Crossbow or Godsword - the preferred weapons for the Chaos Elemental. Ruby and diamond bolts allow for high hits, and the Godsword's high accuracy is a bonus.
- Familiar Pouch + Scrolls - Terrorbirds are helpful for boosting Run Energy, since you will be running frequently. War Tortoises can store more food.
- Super Attack and Strength, or Ranging Potion - Be able to do as much damage as possible.
- Prayer Potions - Protect from magic is needed when fighting this creature.
- High Level Contained Food - Keep your inventory completely filled at all times, to prevent the Chaos Elemental from unequipping your items. For this to work, you should use food that comes in containers, such as pies or curries.
Getting to the Chaos Elemental
Teleport using your Games Necklace to the Corporeal Beast and head north-east as show in the map. Alternatively, you can use the Wilderness Portal system to reach the Rogues' Castle. If you are bringing a familiar, summon it at your bank and fill the empty inventory space with another piece of food. You do not want ANY empty inventory spaces while fighting the Chaos Elemental.
Head into the Rogues' Castle, which will be your regroup and preparation area. When you are ready, you can try to lure the Elemental, which is described later.
If the Chaos Elemental is inside the Rogues' Castle area, run to the north area near the invisible Spirit Portal. Usually, the Chaos Elemental will never be able to reach that area.
The Ardougne Teleport lever is NOT recommended as a way of getting to the Chaos Elemental. This is because you can only approach from the Western side, and are thus vulnerable to its attacks for a long period of time, with the safe area of the Rogues' Castle being very far away. The Chaos Elemental's teleport attack will also prevent you from easily running to safety.
The Chaos Elemental uses a variety of different attacks. Its' main damaging attack is a prayer-penetrating magic/ranged projectile, which can deal up to 280 damage. In addition to this, it has two special attacks with unique effects:
- Green Orb Attack: Unequips some of the items you are wielding. It will not do so if you do not have free inventory space.
- Red Orb Attack: Teleports you to a random location around the Chaos Elemental.
Chaos Elemental Wander Range
Below is a comprehensive map showing the wander and attack range of the Chaos Elemental. Consider yourself safe from its attacks if you are not within the Red region. Keep in mind that this region represents the Wander Range and Attack range, so while it may not be able to actively wander the north side of the Scorpion Pit, it can still reach you with its' projectiles!
Luring the Chaos Elemental
Here is a detailed look at luring the Chaos Elemental, which can help greatly if you are ambushed by players.
Step 1: Players wait for spawn inside Rogues' Castle. Chaos Elemental spawns.
Step 2: One player moves out to catch the Chaos Elemental's attention. Chaos Elemental moves along the arrow.
Step 3: Player steps behind the tree, safe from attack. Chaos Elemental moves onto tree and is stuck.
Killing the Chaos Elemental
To negate a large amount of its hits, you should use Protect from Magic. Having Auto-Retaliate on helps greatly if you are teleported away, as your character will automatically run back to battle. If you are ranging, switch to Diamond Bolts once it is at half health. ALWAYS have Item Protect ON, as you can easily be ambushed by a team of playerss, leading to a quick death. Watch your health, even the highest level players can easily be killed if not paying attention.
Like the Corporeal Beast, prayer has a limited effect on the Chaos Elemental's attacks. It seems to decrease the frequency of getting hit and damage dealt by a small margin. It is definitely better to be safe than sorry when using prayer at the Chaos Elemental.
If you find yourself in a need to stop temporarily or heal without being damaged, there are a large amount of obstacles around the Chaos Elemental. These include trees, rocks, and the walls of the Rogues' Castle. You can use these to trap the Chaos Elemental, preventing it from reaching you, and take a rest to heal or regroup your team. Keep in mind that what denotes a safe area is dependent on where the Chaos Elemental is. Do not consider the Rogue's Castle a safe spot if the Chaos Elemental is inside it!
Apart from that, the fight is fairly straightforward. If you are in a team, spread yourselves out as much as possible so the Chaos Elemental will spin and attack fewer times. This will be difficult since it teleports you around a lot. Attack the Chaos Elemental, and eat when necessary. Never run out of prayer, it could cost you your life!
Note: Like the Kalphite Queen, the Chaos Elemental spawn time is unusually slow, sometimes in the 2-3 minute range.
Avoiding Player Killers
If you are ambushed by a player or clan, your best bet is to activate Protect from Magic (unless they are within melee distance and can potentially kill you with a powerful melee special attack in which case you should use melee prayer). If you need to run away to the West, the Chaos Elemental can attack over the cliffside in the Scorpion Pit, so keep moving if you need to get to safety. If you have lured the Chaos Elemental, enter the Rogues' Castle and hop worlds if possible (this may take some skill in making sure you aren't in combat for ten seconds).
The Chaos Elemental drops a number of valuable pieces of equipment such as the Ancient Warriors' Equipment, also dropped by Revenants. One special item dropped only by the Chaos Elemental and the Kalphite Queen is the Dragon 2H Sword. It has an area of effect Special Attack which will damage adjacent enemies, which can be devastating in multi-combat areas. For a full list of drops, view the Chaos Elemental Bestiary entry.
Tips and Tricks
- Killing with a team is much more effective, especially if you don't have particularly high combat levels. You also have someone to chat with while you wait for the spawn.
- When you need to bank, head to the Wilderness Portal by the Rogues' Castle, and use you games necklace to teleport to a bank. You can also head west to the Mage Bank.
- Always have Protect Items active. If you are ambushed by players, you can be killed without enough time to react.
- Use crowded worlds so the Chaos Elemental will respawn much faster.
- If you like, you can set up a Dwarf Cannon to attack the Chaos Elemental. While this helps, unless you are lucky with drops, it is usually not a very cost-efficient option.
Original Guide by: Warriormonkx
Thanks to: brainymidget, Dark_Aura, Ends of Time, Howlin0001, Jaffy1, pokemama, shasta_sms, SportsGuy, wachtwoord
Last Updated by: Arceus
Last updated: 11-Nov-2014