Treasure Trails - Basics
Treasure trails are one of things in RuneScape that will give you hours of fun. You don't have the slightest idea what kind of treasure you'll get, or when you'll get it. If you like adventures, be sure to do some treasure trails. Treasure trails are members only, but some of the rewards can be used by both F2P'ers and P2P'ers.
To begin a treasure trail, you'll need a clue scroll. Clue scrolls are dropped by certain kinds of monsters when you kill them. Below is a list of the monsters that drop clue scrolls. They are divided into four categories. Refer to the rewards page for more information about the different categories. The higher the category, the better the potential reward if you complete the trail.
Jagex has so many monsters that drop the four different level clues that it would be unwise to list them all here. Instead there are links below (to the Bestiary) for you to click so you can see what monsters drop the level clue scroll you want.
There are also a couple of other ways you can get clue scrolls. These ways can sometimes be more fun, because when you DO get a clue scroll, it's always a nice surprise. Pickpocketing H.A.M. Members will often get you a Clue scroll (easy) and if you're brave enough to venture into the Zogre Cavern West of Gu'Tanoth, it's possible to get a key from one of the monsters that inhabit these dim caves. Use the key on the coffins in the area, and maybe, you just might find....a clue scroll! If you're not up to the task of killing the nearby monsters, try thieving the coffins instead. You can occasionally find Clue scrolls (easy) this way as well.
You can also get clue scrolls from Shade Chests. The kind of chest will determine which level clue scroll you can get, but in general, the higher the shade, the higher the clue level. For example, you may get a Clue scroll (easy) from a chest requiring a brown key. But, if you have a silver key, you may end up getting a Clue scroll (hard). Here's a list of shade chests and the level of clue scroll you can get from each:
Refer to our Shades of Mort'ton Guide for more information on burning shades, getting keys and accessing shade chests.
Clue scrolls can also be found in caskets while big net fishing, received as rewards from Manage Thy Kingdom and the Evil Tree, or bought with Pieces of eight at the Trouble Brewing Minigame.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I'm on the right locations, but I can't find anything! How come?
If it's a normal clue, make sure you have your clue with you.
2. I've been killing this monster for ages, and I STILL haven't gotten a clue! Why?
Also, make sure the monster you're killing actually drops clues. Check the Bestiary or the Basics section at the beginning of this guide for a list of monsters that drop clues. Otherwise, you'll just have to be patient! Clue drops are purely random; you may get 3 in one day by killing the same monster, or you may not get any for 3 weeks!
3. If I drop my clue because it's too hard or I can't figure it out, can I get another one?
4. Which treasure trails rewards are F2P?
5. Can I have more than one clue at a time?
6. Does the ring of wealth help with clues?
7. Can clue scrolls or the sextant, watch and chart be traded?
8. Do I keep my clue scroll if I die?
9. What do I do if I lose my sextant, watch or chart?
If you have level 28 crafting and you have access to a player-owned home with a workshop, you can also make a new watch and sextant yourself. You cannot make a replacement chart. To get a new chart, you'll have to go back and visit the Professor again.
10. If I see someone drop a clue scroll, can I pick it up?
11. Do I have to do the Observatory Quest to get the sextant, watch and chart?
12. I've tried speaking to the Professor over and over again about getting Treasure Trail help and the sextant, watch and chart, but all he talks about is his broken telescope and his planks. What's going on?
13. Why won't Murphy and Brother Kojo give me the items I need?
14. I know that members get trimmed armour from Treasure Trails, but I'm a non-member, and someone offered to trim my armour. How can I trim my armour myself?
If anyone offers to trim your armour, or they tell you they're a member and armour trimming is a new member skill, don't believe it. It's a scam, and they will steal your armour. You should report the person by using the "Report Abuse" button at the bottom of your playing screen.
Credits for all Treasure Trails Pages have been compiled onto one page. Click here for a full list of credits.
Last updated by: Howlin0001
Last updated on: 14-Nov-2013
Will you use Menaphos to train your skills?
Help keep Tip.It alive, donate a bit to our site:
© 1999 - 2017 RuneScape Tips, all rights reserved. RuneScape® and Jagex® are trademarks of Jagex Ltd © 2000 - 2017 Andrew Gower.