One Piercing Note
Start location: Speak to Catherina in the Abbey of Saint Elspeth Citharede, east of Al Kharid.
Items: Ring of duelling (a teleport nearby the abbey)
NPCs: Abbess Benita, Sister Anna, Sister Catherina, Sister Cecilia, Sister Debora, Sister Elena, Valerio
A Terrible Crime
1. Sister Catherina will rejoice, telling you that Abbess Benita has awaited the arrival of a great adventurer. Accept their welcome and enter the abbey to speak with the abbess in her office, north of the main courtyard.
2. Abbess Benita will ask you to help the abbey with an investigation. She will inform you that Sister Anna has been brutally murdered, although the rest of the abbey has been told she died of natural causes. Benita hands you Anna's cell key as well as an investigation journal, asking you to search the abbey for clues and question its members.
3. You must gather all possible clues (20 total) available in the abbey before Abbess Benita will accept your findings. Your investigation journal will automatically record any new information you uncover. You may speak with the abbess at any time to check how many clues are left to find. The most direct way of gathering the clues is as follows, starting at the abbess' office.
- Question Sister Elena (1): go to the kitchen directly east beside Benita's office, and talk to Sister Elena, and make sure the following clues are recorded in your notebook:
- Sister Elena claims she was in the kitchen at the time of the murder.
- Sister Elena claims that food has been stolen from the cellar.
- Sister Elena disliked Sister Anna. She claimed that Sister Anna argued with Abbess Benita.
- Question Sister Debora (2): exit the kitchen by heading east upstairs, through the dining hall, and go up the stairs in the next room. Go upstairs one more floor into the clock tower. Sister Debora will be underneath the clock mechanism unable to hear you, asking you to adjust the clock. Go to the clock interface, and adjust the hands to indicate noontime, shown below.
The bells will ring and you can then speak to Sister Debora. Gather all of the following clues:
- Sister Debora claims she was in the clock tower at the time of the murder.
- Abbess Benita was planning to retire, and Sister Anna would have succeeded her as abbess.
- Question Sister Cecilia (3): go back downstairs and enter the main chapel with the singing choir. Speak with Sister Cecilia, the conductor. Obtain the following clues:
- Sister Cecilia claims she was in the oratory at the time of the murder.
- I heard the hymn choir's hymn to Saint Elspeth.
- Sister Cecilia told me about the Ripper demon.
- Question Sister Catherina (4): speak with her near the south door of the chapel and have the following recorded in your notebook:
- Sister Catherina claims she was in the scriptorium at the time of the murder.
- An applicant visited the abbey recently but disappeared.
- Investigate Sister Anna's cell (5): head out the south door of the chapel and enter Sister Anna's cell using your key. Search for clues under the bed to uncover a cloth fragment, and investigate the window. The following clues should be added to your book:
- Window smashed from the inside.
- Cloth fragment under bed.
- Investigate Sister Anna's body in the infirmary (6): head west down the stairs to the most south-west room with the covered corpse. Investigate the corpse and obtain the following clues:
- Face mutilated.
- Feet mutilated.
- Blunt wound on back of head.
- Stab wounds in chest.
- Question Valerio the musician (7): head outside the abbey and south to the troubadours, and speak with Valerio, obtaining the following new information:
- Valerio claims he was in Al Kharid at the time of the murder.
- I heard a song that Valerio sang about a dancing girl.
- Valerio had a history with Sister Anna.
- Investigate the applicant dormitory (8): finally, head back into the abbey and walk directly north to the dormitory, and search the bed closest to the door and obtain the last clue:
- Cloth fragment in applicant dormitory.
The Killer Strikes Again
4. After gathering all the clues, speak with Abbess Benita, and she will ask you to name your main suspect. Regardless of your response, moments later, you will hear a piercing scream. Follow the scream by running through the kitchen, upstairs past the dining hall, and going down into the basement via the stairs in the next room. Sister Cecilia will be crying over the dead body of Sister Elena, the second murder victim. Abbess Benita will appear and decide that the abbey must be informed of the danger. She will ask you to investigate again and look for clues relating to Elena's death.
- Examine Sister Elena's body (1): investigate the body, the blood trail, and the nearby robes cabinet and obtain the following clues:
- Blunt wound on back of head.
- Claw marks on arms and hands.
- Multiple stab wounds in chest.
- Scratches on feet.
- Face not mutilated.
- Body moved from near reliquary to bottom of stairs.
- Killer may have hidden in the robe cabinet.
- Investigate the kitchen sacks (2): go upstairs, head west downstairs into the kitchen and search the sacks to uncover a hidden entrance, recording a clue in the process. While you are nearby, obtain Sister Elena's cell key from Abbess Benita in her office.
- Secret passage from the kitchen to outside the abbey.
- Question Sister Cecilia (3): return to the abbey chapel. Cecilia will be by herself on the southern choir seats. Talk with her and record her clue:
- Sister Cecilia claims she saw the Ripper demon in the act of mutilating Sister Elena's feet.
- Search Sister Elena's cell (4): you will need to obtain the key from Abbess Benita. Enter the cell and search under the bed to obtain some letters. Read through the letters in order to record the clue:
- Love letters from Valerio under Sister Elena's bed.
- Question Valerio (5): leave the abbey and go to the troubadours to speak with Valerio. Obtain the following clue:
- Valerio confirmed that he had been having an affair with Sister Elena.
5. Once you have gathered all possible information, return to Abbess Benita and tell her whom you suspect. Again, no matter your choice, she will declare that the abbey needs to be secured and that everyone must be kept safe to prevent further death. She will ask you to retrieve Sister Catherina, who is dancing outside with the troubadours.
A Third Death
6. Leave the abbey and walk south to the troubadours. Sister Catherina is there, dancing without a care in the world. Ask her to come back with you and she will want you to dance. Accept, and then ask her again to return to the abbey. She will follow you, but as you walk in, the abbey gate will slam shut, leaving her stranded outside. A large clawed figure will appear, brutally killing and mutilating her. Valerio appears shortly after, scaring the figure away.
7. Climb up the ladder to the south and operate the winch to open the abbey gate. Go back to ground level and inspect Sister Catherina's body. Valerio will mourn her passing and Abbess Benita will appear, distressed at a third death. She will call an urgent meeting to discuss a course of action. Go to her office and speak with her, and she will ask you, after all that you have seen, whom you finally suspect. Suggest that the Ripper demon has returned from the dead, that the best plan is to lay a trap baited with a new victim and that all victims have a connection with Valerio. Valerio will suggest creating a decoy victim, and Benita will instruct you to put the plan into action.
8. Go outside into the courtyard and pick a head of cabbage, then head downstairs into the basement with the reliquary. Move the candelabrum nearby and place the cabbage head on top. Search the robes cabinet for spare robes and then add them to complete the dummy victim. When you are ready to continue, enter the robe cabinet and hide.
The Killer Revealed
9. A cutscene will play, and the funeral will begin. The clawed figure will appear in the basement and knock the cabbage head off the dummy victim.
Attempt to knock-out the killer. Realising the trick, the figure will run up the stairs. Follow the figure through the dining hall, kitchen, and courtyard. The figure will try to flee the abbey, but will be cut off by the troubadours outside. Keep following the figure into the chapel and up the stairs into the clock tower. Climb to the very top of the clock tower, and Sister Anna, the killer, is there threatening Sister Debora's life and demanding safety.
10. Trying to reason with her will not work, instead you must go down and set the clock mechanism to ring the bell once more. Go upstairs and talk to Sister Anna again, and ask her if she can hear the bell. When the bell rings, she will lose grip of Sister Debora, who will disarm her.
Speak with Sister Debora, and after conversing she will leave you alone with Anna. Speak with Anna and she will ask you to free her from her sins. After conversation with her, depending on your choice, you will either throw her off the tower, or let her jump to her death.
11. Go back downstairs and speak with Abbess Benita. You can choose to tell her that the murderer was in fact Anna, or the Ripper demon. Benita will accept your story and thank you for your efforts to help the abbey. Congratulations, quest complete!
Quest points: 2
Tips, Tricks & Notes
- After the quest, you can make illuminated prayer books in the Scriptorium. Use any completed prayer book on the book-making table to begin. Complete each of the actions in the following order: Copy text, Embellish initial capitals, Add colour, Add gold leaf. Each action you perform will cost 200 prayer points. If you perform any of the actions with less than 200 prayer points, there is a chance that you will fail the action and have to restart. Attempting any action with 0 prayer points will automatically fail. Completing each type of book for the first time awards you 10,000 Crafting XP and 10,000 Prayer XP, for a maximum possible total of 60,000 XP in each skill from all six books. The illuminated books offer an extra +3 prayer bonus over their previous versions.
- Illuminated prayer books are not unique, unlike the original copies, therefore you may make as many copies as you desire. Also you can use the Illuminated prayer books to make more Illuminated prayer books, thus, after the first copy, the originals are no longer needed.
- After the quest, you can return to the basement and search the reliquary. Saint Elspeth's spirit guards a holy cithara within the reliquary, that can only be taken if you meet certain holy criteria:
Having items associated with other gods, ancient magicks, or curses active, will all prevent you from taking the cithara, and lightning will take away all but one of your life points. Once obtained, you will receive a one-time reward of 50,000 Prayer XP.
- The robes have a special set effect when worn: your prayer points will be restored when you listen to a musician at a rest location.
Written by: Warriormonkx
Thanks to: chenw, Cowman_133, dumb_dog66, Ezkaton, ForsakenMage, Jaffy1, Mirror, Mitorad, Omnitec, Saradomin_Mage, SerpentEye, Sorator, Sy_Accursed, the_korny, uath13, WoodenFruit, Zeno
Last updated: 23-Dec-2017
Will you use Menaphos to train your skills?
Help keep Tip.It alive, donate a bit to our site: