Brink of Extinction, The
Difficulty: Grand Master Requirements: Hard Length: Long
Quests: Elder Kiln, The
Skills: Level 80 Defence, Level 72 Mining, Level 80 Smithing
Items: Rune pickaxe or better, armour and weapons for all three combat styles with appropriate ammunition and runes, food and potions, 6 free inventory spaces
Monsters: Ket-Zek (level 105), Tok-Xil (level 105), TokHaar-Hur (level 112), TokHaar-Ket (level 119), TokHaar-Ket Champion (level 112), TokHaar-Ket-Zek (level 192), TokHaar-Mej (level 119), TokHaar-Tok-Xil (level 119), TokHaar-Xil (level 103), TokHaar-Yt-MejKot (level 188), Tz-Kek (level 86), Tz-Kek -2- (level 86), Tz-Kih (level 85), Tz-Kil (level 103), Yt-MejKot (level 105)
Walkthrough hide »
A Dying Race
1. Head to the Main Plaza of the TzHaar City and speak to TzHaar-Mej-Jeh and TzHaar-Mej-Ak. They will tell you that since Ga'al-Xox's journey into the Kiln, no TzHaar have been born, only Ga'al, and their race is now dying. They will tell you that they must send more Ga'al into the Kiln, since it is now safe thanks to you.
2. Lead the expedition into the Elder Kiln to restore the TzHaar's greatest champions. Choose who you would like to restore first. Once they've nominated who they wish to restore, you will be given the communication orb. This will help you find the TokKul of the champions they ask for, and to return them to them. They also ask you to find three Ga'al and send them to the Main Plaza.
4. The order you choose to gather the Ga'al and the TokKul of the TzHaar warriors is entirely up to you. Speak to TzHaar-Mej-Jeh via the communication orb to change the "target" you wish to seek. Activating the orb will give you directions to your target.
5. You will need to find the Ga'al in three locations: northwest of the Main Plaza, southwest of the Main Plaza, and east of the entrance to the Fight Caves. Head to these locations to speak to each Ga'al and send them to the Main Plaza.
6. Using the Communication orb, locate the TokKul of the three great TzHaar warriors: TzHaar-Mej-Gek, TzHaar-Ket-Teg, and TzHaar-Xil-Kal. The orb will give you directions using the cardinal points, so be sure to have your compass pointing north.
7. Once all the Ga'al and TokKul of the TzHaar warriors have been delivered to TzHaar-Mej-Jeh and TzHaar-Mej-Ak, return to the plaza to speak to them, then head to the Elder Kiln for the reforging of the TokKul into the Ga'al.
8. Enter the Elder Kiln by choosing the "The Brink of Extinction" option at the Fight Kiln entrance, and observe the cut-scene. TzHaar-Mej-Jeh and TzHaar-Mej-Ak will ask TokHaar-Hok to fuse the TokKul with the Ga'al, like they did with Ga'al-Xox. Choose one of four options to determine how the TzHaar should proceed; your choice will not affect the outcome of the quest.
In Hot Pursuit
NOTE: At this point forward, your progress in pursuit of Ga'al-Xox will be saved after each room's challenge has been completed. Should you fail to defeat the monsters in the following rooms, dying is safe; therefore you will not lose any items. You may leave the tunnels if you wish to bank. When you re-enter the tunnels, you will be taken back to where you left off; you may not return to previously completed rooms.
10. Activate the communication orb to follow Ga'al-Xox into some tunnels, located on the far eastern side of TzHaar City. TzHaar-Mej-Jeh will inform you that you will need to complete certain challenges in each room in order to proceed.
11. After the brief cut-scene, five Tz-Kih will appear. Equip your melee armour and weapon (preferably one that can stab) and defeat them. Head towards the doors and pick up the obsidian mace from the ground. Take the obsidian knife and obsidian sword from the scales by the door. Place the obsidian mace on the western scale and the obsidian sword on the eastern scale to unlock the door.
12. In this next room, you will face two Tz-Kek (weak to water spells), a Tz-Kih (weak against stab attacks), and a Tok-Xil (weak against slash atacks). Once you have defeated them, proceed to solve the puzzle. You will need to arrange the statues so that they form the combat triangle. Glowing orange arrows will help you align the statues in the proper arrangement. These arrows will become purple when the statues are aligned correctly. Once you've completed the puzzle, examine the shelf containing reading orbs if you're interested in the lore of the TzHaar, then proceed into the next room.
13. Examine the shelf on the west side of the room, then equip your magic gear with water-spells prepared. Pass through the hot vent door and prepare for a fight in a node of the conduit. Avoid the grates that will glow red hot periodically or be dealt over 1000 points of damage each second you are on them!
Pick up the obsidian maul upon completion of the fight, then place it on the scale near the doors leading to the next room. Equip ranger gear before proceeding through.
14. Pray against magic to reduce the damage taken from the four Tz-Kil and defeat them. Pick up the obsidian weapons scattered around the room and place them on the scales according to what the statues behind them are wielding. Examine the shelf of reading orbs if you wish, and equip melee gear before proceeding to the next room.
15. Defeat the three Tz-Kih, preferably with a stab weapon, then switch to ranged gear to defeat the two Tz-Kil and one Yt-MejKot (pray against melee if you are unable to safe spot Yt-MejKot). Make your way towards the pedestals on the north end of the room. Click on one of these, and it will light up. You will need to follow the sequence of pedestals that light up in order to unlock a door. If you make a mistake, you will need to start over from the top. Examine the shelf of reading orbs when you've completed the puzzle; otherwise, continue to the next room.
16. Examine the shelf on the west side of the room, then equip your magic gear with water-spells prepared. Pass through the hot vent door and prepare for another fight in a node of the conduit. Again, avoid the grates that will glow red hot periodically or be dealt over 1000 points of damage each second you are on them!
Pick up the obsidian maul upon completion of the fight, then place it on the scale near the doors leading to the next room. Equip ranger gear before continuing onwards.
17. Defeat three Tz-Kek, then pick up the obsidian weapons scattered around the room, as well as the stone tablet. Examine each scales to determine which weapon to place on them, using the tablet as a guide. The puzzle will change should you choose to log out or leave the room at this point.
When you have completed the puzzle, equip ranged gear and proceed to the next room.
18. Defeat the three Tz-Kil, then switch to mage gear and prayer magic to defeat the two Tz-Kek and Ket-Zek. When you've completed the battle, head towards the north end of the room. You will need to rotate nine pieces of tile in order to create a TzHaar emblem. Once you've completed it, head into the next room.
Cause of Death
NOTE: It is highly recommend you bank at this point if you have not done so already to restock on food and potions, as well as organizing your gear.
19. Equip melee gear and proceed through the hot vent gate on the east side of the room. Speak to Ga'al-Xox to learn what has been causing the TzHaar to die out. Use the valve just north of him to get the lava flowing again.
21. Protect from melee and speak to TokHaar-Hok to begin the fight. If you came ill-prepared, don't worry, this is a SAFE fight. If you fail to defeat TokHaar-Hok, simply bank and re-arrange your abilities as appropriate before beginning. Here are some tips on how to deal with TokHaar-Hok.
22. When you have defeated TokHaar-Hok, speak to him and Ga'al-Xox, then return to the Main Plaza to speak with TzHaar-Mej-Jeh. Let him know what's happened, then head for the Elder Kiln to speak with Ga'al-Xox, and watch the final resolution of this quest-series.
Quest points: 3
Tips, Tricks & Notes
Written by: ForsakenMage & Salleh
Last updated: 14-Feb-2016
Will you use Menaphos to train your skills?
© 1999 - 2020 RuneScape Tips, all rights reserved.
RuneScape® and Jagex® are trademarks of Jagex Ltd © 2000 - 2020 Andrew Gower.