Start location: Speak to Effigy near the Tower of Life south of Ardougne.
Skills: Level 10 Construction
Items: Beer, Hammer, Saw
NPCs: 'Black-eye', Bonafido, Effigy, 'Gummy', Homunculus, 'No fingers', 'The Guns'
1: No Progress
Items Required: None
Speak to Effigy, who will tell you about the tower being built. He explains that it is merely a gargantuan cylinder of expert design, incorporating an inventive inner spiral walkway to multiple planes of wondrous inhabitance. Sadly, such a complex and interesting building needs builders, and those who are supposed to be building simply won't. So, since the builders are on strike, Effigy offers you the chance of a lifetime - complete the work a whole team of builders won't do! Accept and he will send you to talk to Bonafido, the head builder, to see if you can't get him to do some work.
2: Getting Dressed
Items Required: Beer
Head to the front of the tower to find Bonafido on the ground. Speak to him to find he suspects the alchemists of doing something weird in the building, and that he wants answers before the crew will continue. You'll ask to be allowed in the building, but Bonafido believes you don't look much like a builder. In order to make him believe you are, you have to dress as one - a hard hat, boots, scruffy trousers, and a shirt. Speaking to the nearby builders will help you make this outfit.
- 'Black-eye' will give you an extra helmet if you answer a few questions about construction:
1.How many nails does it take to make a rocking chair? 3
2.What takes 3 planks, 3 cloth and 3 nails to make, and helps remove light from a room? Torn curtains
3.I like fish and I want to put some in my garden, but I need a special water feature. What materials would I require? 10 clay pieces
- 'The Guns' will give you his shirt in exchange for a beer. Give the beer to him and he will give you the shirt.
- 'Gummy' will tell you he was drying his clothes on a line by the shore and they went missing in a storm. Search the plants around the south-east of the tower, near the shore, until you find his trousers.
- Talk to 'No fingers' to find out he has boots that he refuses to give to you. After you talk to him, pickpocket him to get boots.
3: Getting in
Items Required: None
Wear the entire builder's outfit and speak to Bonafido again. Now that you look like a builder, you have to prove your 'mental attitude' is one for a builder. He will ask you a few questions:
- You've plenty of work to do but you need a drink fast - what do you go for? Tea
- You must whistle now - Whistle for attention.
- What's a good sign that you need to replace your trousers? Your legs are getting a bit cold
- What do you do if you cut your finger? Carry on, it'll fix itself
You now have permission to enter the tower, but Bonafido warns you to look out for a pipe system, a pressure machine and a strange cage at the top which need finishing. You'll also need a hammer and saw to fix anything in the tower.
4: Finishing Up
Items Required: Hammer, Saw
It is now time to fix up things in the tower! All materials for fixing are found in the crates on the ground floor, but you might not find items the first time you search.
- The pressure machine is on the first floor. Fixing it requires 4 coloured balls, 3 pieces of metal sheeting - both found in the crates on the western wall - and 4 valve wheels - found in the easternmost crate. After constructing it, the machine will need to be calibrated - pressure is affected by holes in the pipes, and these holes can be blocked up with the coloured balls. Turn valve wheels left to put in more pressure - and more water - and turn them right to release pressure. In order to plug leaks, you will need to move the coloured balls (which are at the highest water level in each pipe) to the holes by changing the pressure.
- To plug the leaks:
1. Turn Wheel #1 left two times. Turn it right five times to fill the pipe.
2. Flip the left lever down.
3. Turn Wheel #2 left two times. Turn it right four times to fill the pipe.
4. Turn Wheel #3 right two times and then left one time. Turn it right four times to fill the pipe.
5. Flip the right lever down.
6. Turn Wheel #4 right three times and then left one time. Turn it right three times to fill the pipe.
- The pipe machine is on the second floor. Fixing it requires 6 rivets (found in the northern crate on the eastern wall), 4 pipes (found in the north-western crate, the one closest to the centre), and 5 metal pipe rings (found in the crate due east of the crate with pipes). However, it still needs calibrating - the pipes need to be connected so liquid can travel further up the tower.
- Select a piece by clicking on it, then use the curving button to rotate it and the arrow buttons to move it into place. As soon as it is connected to the correct pipes, it will be impossible to move it again.
- The cage is on the third floor. Fixing it requires 5 metal bars and 4 bottles of binding fluid, the fluid is found in one of the southern crates on the ground floor and the metal bars in the most northern crate. When you construct it, some bars will not be appropriately completed, so you will need to correctly size them and place them. The arrows at the bottom of the screen allow you to rotate the cage to show all sides needing fixing.
- Use the 'Horizontal' and 'Vertical' buttons to select which type of bar to put in. Use the '+' and '-' buttons to resize the bar. Click 'Place Bar' to place the bar in the cage - if it fits, that part of the cage will become grey. The distance between two columns or rows is 2 lengths of piping.
5: Dangerous Ideas
Items Required: None
Now that you have completed the machines in need of fixing, go speak to Effigy outside the tower. The alchemists will celebrate and head to the top of the tower. After they head up, you'll need to go to the top of the tower as well. A cut scene will show the alchemists celebrating 'their' accomplishment of building the Tower of Life. They will summon a Homunculus, which groans at its imprisonment. You will feel pity for the large monster - rather than wanting a reward, you tell the alchemists to let the creature go. The alchemists will flee when the Homunculus begins making flashes of light.
Head downstairs to talk to Effigy outside the tower again. Effigy will convince you to go and speak to the Homunculus, so head up to the top floor of the tower. You will discover that it is a creature of both logic and magic, which are directly conflicting. You must choose to either commit his mind to the world of magic or the world of logic. In order to determine which way his mind should go, you will have to answer some questions - it does not matter which way you make it go. Choose the answer corresponding to the "World" you wish the Homunculus' brain to work in:
1. How can I make fire appear at my fingertips?
- Logic - Get some logs and a tinderbox.
- Magic - With the aid of 5 fire runes.
- Neither - That's impossible! No one can do that!
2. How do dragons breathe fire?
- Neither - Not too sure, I've never seen it happen.
- Magic - With the help of the magical dragonstones!
- Logic - By ignition of gas in their belly as they exhale.
3. What do people do, day-in, day-out?
- Magic - Runecraft, enchant jewellery, perform alchemy.
- Neither - Eat, sleep, nothing that exciting.
- Logic - Fletching, Crafting, Smithing.
4. What could I do with unwanted bones?
- Logic - Bury them.
- Neither - I'd like to think you would be carrying bones around.
- Magic - Turn them into bananas or peaches!
5. What's the best way to travel?
- Neither - I'm not really much of a traveller, sorry.
- Logic - Run, run as fast as you can.
- Magic - Depends where you are headed, but teleport spells are a safe bet.
6. I hear people whisper of potions...
- Magic - Yes, you can make magic potions to boost your skills.
- Logic - People mix together ingredients in vials. The nutrients will help you.
- Neither - Yes, liquid-filled vials. Big deal.
7. How are rune stones created?
- Magic - By harnessing the power of the gods!
- Neither - Never seen one personally.
- Logic - Take a rune stone to an altar and use a talisman.
8. Can people move things with the power of the mind?
- Neither - Perhaps. I've never seen it myself, though.
- Magic - Yep, you can use the Telekinetic Grab spell.
- Logic - Sure. Use your brain to tell someone to move it!
9. How can I possibly exist?
- Magic - Through the power of alchemy.
- Neither - It's beyond me!
- Logic - It's a simple case of combining materials.
10. Explain those flashing sparks that scared the alchemists.
- Magic - You have special powers - no surprise seeing how you were created.
- Logic - Coincidence - there is a lot of loose metal around.
- Neither - Yeah, they were cool! Nice one.
11. I want to learn more - what should I study?
- Logic - Try some Mining followed by Smithing.
- Magic - How about Magic and Runecrafting?
- Neither - That's up to you; depends on what you find interesting.
12. If I reach out far enough I can grab the sun.
- Logic - Don't be silly! You'd get burnt!
- Magic - Can't see why not, anything is possible.
- Neither - Well the sun is not actually there, it's where it used to be!
13. Am I a creature of magic or a creature of logic?
- Logic - Everything has a reason, even if you don't know what it is.
- Neither - Probably a bit of both.
- Magic - Your very existence speaks of mystical forces.
14. Which do you believe in?
- Magic - Magic.
- Neither - I'm too laid back to really care, mate.
- Logic - Logic.
Items Required: None
The Homunculus will find that he now understands both worlds equally and that it is time to make sure the Alchemists never do this again. Head down to the outside of the tower and speak to Effigy. A cut scene will show the Homunculus appearing and frightening the alchemists. They explain their innocent intentions and tell you about the dungeon which contains the force Guthix may have used to create life. The Homunculus wishes to meet you in the dungeon, so head to the trapdoor in the southern part of the tower. Go down and head north to the magic well, where you will find the Homunculus. Speak to him to find that he was developed with dangerous godly power. He will reward you, saying he will make creatures for you.