Difficulty: Intermediate Requirements: Easy Length: Long
Start location: Talk to Velorina inside Port Phasmatys (Ghost Village).
Skills: Level 25 Agility, Level 20 Cooking
Other: Must be able to defeat a level 60 Giant lobster.
Items: About 200gp, a weapon, 7 Bones, 7 Pots, 8 Buckets, Bucket of milk, Spade (toolbelt spade will NOT work), Silk, Needle, Thread, Knife, a Bowl of water, a Ghostspeak amulet, any kind of gloves (varies to some extent, see note below), an Oak shieldbow, some dyes are required (varies, see note below); 35 Ecto-tokens (obtained during quest, you will need fewer if you use a Ring of charos (a))
Monsters: Giant lobster (level 60)
Walkthrough hide »
Note: the 7 bones can be obtained from some cows and chickens nearby. Try to continue wearing the ghostspeak amulet throughout the entire quest, since it's needed to talk to a lot of ghosts. If you ever get a ghost replying, "woo woo woo", then you're not wearing it.
1. To find the ghost city (Port Phasmatys) you need to head East of Canifis, either through the haunted woods (watch out for vampires though) or follow the path leading to Fenkenstrain's Castle and then continue East past the graves and then farming allotments, the choice is yours. You will find the ghost city on the East coast. At the North side of the city there is a tower. Inside the tower are Necrovarus, 2 Ghost disciples, and a glowing Ectofuntus.
Note: Alternatively, players can charter a ship directly to Port Phasmatys for a small sum of GP. Necrovarus is outside the the city, to the north-west of the dock you appear on.
2. There is a trapdoor and ladder to the west inside the tower. Go down the trapdoor and then to the other side to find stairs going down again. Keep doing this a few times until you find yourself in front of a pool of slime. Use a bucket on the slime and all 8 will be filled with slime. Keep an 8th bucket of slime for later.
3. Go all the way back up the tower and take some bones upstairs. (If you don't have any, go to the north-west to find a farm with undead chickens and undead cows and kill them for bones.) Use your bones on the loader part of the bone-grinder to the north. The grinder will automatically grind your bones, then it will your pots with the bonemeal.
4. Go back down and click "worship" on the Ectofuntus for each pot of bonemeal.
5. Talk to a Ghost disciple to get the ecto-tokens you have earned. (Make sure you wear your Ghostspeak amulet when talking.) If the ectofuntus does not accept more worship, you have to collect your tokens before continuing. You will need 33 ecto-tokens for the entire quest.
Note: If you arrived at the Port via a charter ship, you will not be charged the ecto-token entrance fee. However, if you leave Port Phasmatys, you will need to either pay the entrance fee to reenter or charter another ship there.
Finally, the Quest Starts!
6. Now you can go inside the city to the south. It will cost you 2 ecto-tokens. Head east to the quest start on your map and speak to Velorina. (Again make sure you wear your Ghostspeak amulet.) You can either reply that you know the story of the city or if you are interested reply you don't know it and read a (quite long) story. Offer to help her with her problem. You have now started the quest. If you are in need of a bank you can head south from the quest start.
7. Go back to the temple and talk to Necrovarus there. He will get upset that you talked to Velorina and threaten you.
8. Because Velorina mentioned another possibility, go back to her. You will have to pay another 2 ecto-tokens.
An Old Friend
9. Velorina will tell you about an old friend of hers who was once a disciple of Necrovarus but walked away. This was before they all died. You will have to go and find her. You can take all the items needed for this part from the bank now, or later at Canifis.
10. On your way back to Canifis, pause South East of the Slayer Master and pick some nettles while wearing your gloves. If you fail to wear gloves you will get poisoned!
The Old Crone
11. The woman is located in a small wooden house, next to the Slayer Tower, North West of Canifis (or go North West from the Slayer Master.) She will tell you that she can't remember a thing at her age, but maybe some nettle tea will refresh her memory.
12. Use the nettle with a filled bowl of water. Right click (use) to boil the nettle water on a fire or a range, and you'll have nettle tea. If you don't have logs for a fire you can chop down a swamp tree to the east or there is also a range in the house West of the Bank in Port Phasmatys.
13. Add milk to the nettle tea. Go back to the old lady, she will not be satisfied. She wants the tea out of her own cup which she will give to you. Use your nettle tea (don't drink it!) with the special cup.
14. Wear your Ghostspeak amulet again. Now she will accept the tea and tell you that there is a spell to expand your Ghostspeak amulet so that you can control ghosts. It can only be used once, though. She will tell you that she needs 3 items for this part: the book of Haricanto, the Robes of Necrovarus and a translation manual.
The missing son
15. Talk to the old woman again and tell her that she's done so much and that you would like to do something in return. She will tell you about her son that's missing and give you a model ship. Bank to get the items you will need next.
The ghost ship
16. Use a piece of silk with the ship while the is in your inventory. You will make a flag for the ship.
17. Head back east of the old lady and the Canifis Slayer Master, past Fenkenstrain Castle and its graves. North of the farming allotments, on the shore, you will find a broken down pirate ship. (It's north west of the farm with dead cows.)
18. Enter the boat and go up one of the ladders. On the east side of the boat, on the wall leading to the upper deck, you will find another ladder. Go up again.
The Model Boat
19. On the top deck of the ship, search the mast during low wind until you find out what colour the bottom, the skull emblem and the top of the sail have. You might want to make a note of the 3 colours. Paint the model boat flag in the exact same colours by using dye on it, then selecting what part you want to paint. To get the colours purple, orange and green, use the dyes with each other: red + yellow = orange, blue + red = purple, blue + yellow = green.
20. Go back into the ghost-city with the map (you will have to pay 2 ecto-tokens). Take your spade from the bank, keep the map and take 25 ecto-tokens (you can use a Ring of Charos (a) to negotiate the price down to 10 ecto-tokens). Go to the east to find a small rowing boat. Talk to the captain and take a trip to Dragontooth island.
21. Once there, you will see a statue. Start west of it next to its' arm, from there follow the instructions on your map. It has changed now that you're on Dragontooth island and will make some more sense. It says 6 steps South, 8 steps East, 2 steps North, 4 steps East, and 22 steps South (it's the same for everyone). With a spade in your inventory, dig here to get the book. Then take the boat back to Port Phasmatys.
22. Near or on the docks you'll find a robed human trader from the east, Ak-Haranu. Talk to him and ask him for the translation manual. He will ask you to get an oak shieldbow signed by Robin.
23. Go to Robin who is inside the nearby inn. Win 4 rounds at the game Runedraw so he will owe you 100gp. To pay off his debt he will sign your bow. Take it back to the trader for the manual.
24. Now go to the innkeeper and ask him if he has any jobs for you. He will give you a bedsheet to take to Robin, keep it instead. Use the bucket of slime with the bedsheet.
25. If you did not keep an extra bucket of slime, go back outside the town to the Ectofuntus tower, and go down to the slime where you filled your buckets. (You can't go outside while wearing the bedsheet, so keep it in your inventory.) Use the bedsheet on the pool of slime.
26. Back inside the town, talk to Gravingas. He will ask you to get a petition signed with 10 signatures. Now wear your green bedsheet or the villagers will tell you they don't trust a human wanting to help them.
27. Talk to the villagers to get 10 signatures. You can do the same villager as many times as you want, as long as you do another 1 in-between. There are also some villagers that will sell you their signature for 1-3 ecto-tokens, but this isn't necessary, unless you have too many of them.
28. When you have 10 signatures, go back to Necrovarus. He will get upset and in his anger he will drop a key. Take the key upstairs and use it on the door to the south. Open and search the coffin to get the robes.
29. Now take the manual, book and robes to the old lady. She will enchant your Ghostspeak amulet with 1 charge. It will turn green.
30. Now go back to Necrovarus. Talk to him while wearing the green amulet, choose the first option and press continue until the conversation ends.
31. Go back into the town and talk to Velorina. You have now completed the Ghosts Ahoy quest.
Quest points: 2
Tips, Tricks & Notes
Written by: Empror1
Last updated: 16-Nov-2013
Will you use Menaphos to train your skills?
Help keep Tip.It alive, donate a bit to our site:
© 1999 - 2017 RuneScape Tips, all rights reserved. RuneScape® and Jagex® are trademarks of Jagex Ltd © 2000 - 2017 Andrew Gower.