Mourning's Ends - Part 1
Difficulty: Master Requirements: Hard Length: Long
Start location: Eluned in Isafdar.
Skills: Level 60 Ranged, Level 50 Thieving
Items: Bucket of water, 1 Bear Fur (kill bear or buy from Fur traders), 2 Silk; Toad crunchies (from Grand Tree or GE), Feather (not from Hunter birds), 1 Magic log, 1 Soft leather, Ogre bellows, a few Gp (1000), Around 20 Coal for distilling.
Items: Armour, Food, Weapons, Antipoison, Ardougne teleport runes, Falador teleport runes, Amulet of Glory, Watchtower teleport runes, Ring of duelling, Teleport crystal. When your teleport crystal is out of teleport charges, Eluned will give it a 3 teleport recharge for 750 gp. It costs 750 gp the first time, then price decreases each time.
Monsters: Mourner (level 11)
Walkthrough hide »
1. Go to Tirannwn. The easiest way is to take a Charter Ship, but you can also go through the northern passage or through the Underground Pass. As always, Isafdar is a dangerous forest with lots of traps and other obstacles. Check the map to see how you can get to Eluned:
2. Talk to Eluned and she will teleport you to Lletya. She will also give you a crystal seed with 4 charges. This seed is a one-click teleport to Lletya. When you arrive, you will be standing next to Arianwyn, so talk to him. He wants you to infiltrate West Ardougne.
3. Kill a level 11 Mourner near the ancient gate entrance to the northern passage. (You may walk from Lletya west to the exit of the city and go through the trees, walk south and go back through the dense forest and back to the mountain pass, or return to Kandarin and approach the gate from the north.) Once you have killed the Mourner, pick up all that he drops: Gas mask, Mourner cloak, Mourner boots, Mourner gloves, Mourner trousers, Bloody mourner top, and Mourner letter.
Repairing the Clothes
4. Now you need to repair the trousers and get the blood off the top so that you can wear the full uniform.
With your completed Mourner outfit, you will be able to enter the Mourner Headquarters in West Ardougne.
Infiltrating West Ardougne
5. Go to Ardougne and walk to West Ardougne. Enter through the main gate and go to the Mourner Headquarters building in the far North East. You will not be admitted if you are not wearing the full Mourner outfit or if you are wearing anything that is not Mourner. Go to the west room, open the trap door and go into the basement. Talk to the Head mourner there. He will give you a Broken device and a Tarnished key. Go to the room just west and use the Tarnished key on the door and talk to the Gnome on a Rack.
6. Talk to the gnome and he will ask you what he just told you. Tell him his feet tickled and he loves Toad crunchies. Use the Feather on him twice. Talk to him again, then right click to release him. He automatically takes the Toad crunchies, the Magic log and the Soft leather from your inventory at that point. Talk to him after waiting a while and he will have fixed the device. Note: Due to a glitch, after releasing him, he will disappear, and you will need to climb back up the ladder and then go straight back down to have him re-appear.
Colouring the sheep
7. If you want to be on the safe side, take 2-3 of every dye - that way you can miss once and won't have to go all the way back to get new frogs. If you have ogre bellows, you can hunt frogs south-west of Castle Wars rather than the more remote Feldip Hills (skip to the next step). If not, Teleport to the Watchtower and walk around Yanille then keep walking south to Feldip Hills. (Those who have completed the One Small Favour quest can go to the nearest glider location, fly to the Grand Tree and then fly to the Feldip Hills landing strip. Fairy Ring AKS is nearby for those who have completed the Fairy Tale Part 2 - Cure a Queen quest.) There is a cave near the Big Chompy Bird Hunting quest starting point; enter and get an Ogre bellows from the north west part of the cave.
8. Now get some coloured frogs (either in Feldip Hills or south-west of Castle Wars). To do this, use one dye on the bellows and use the bellows on one of the Swamp toads hopping around the swamp. Your bellows must first be empty of swamp gas before you can fill it with dye. Repeat this with all colours and you should have 4 different colours of frogs in your inventory. If you brought multiple dyes, colour as many frogs as you have dyes.
9. Teleport to Ardougne and fire the frogs at the sheep:
Load the matching coloured frog in your gun (so shoot a red frog at the red sheep shown on the map, etc). Click aim on your attack style menu and using the arrows to centre the crosshairs on the sheep. AIM CAREFULLY because the sheep move, and a miss means you have to get another frog. You can use your minimap to see where the sheep are walking. Shoot the middle of the sheep. Once you have dyed one of each colour sheep, go back to the Head mourner.
Making the Potion
10. Exit the Mourners headquarters and head a little west and pick up a rotten apple (the red-dot on your mini-map). Exit West Ardougne and talk to Elena. She is in the northern most house just west of the river in Ardougne. After a long dialogue, she will ask for a rotten apple. Now go to the rotten apple orchard which is north of the West Ardougne wall and just to the west of King Lathas combat training ground (the orchard is south-east of the gnome stronghold.)
Pick up a rotten apple. While you are there, grab supplies for the next part. Pick up a barrel and use it on a pile of rotten apples. Use the barrel of rotten apples on the large apple barrel machine. You will receive a barrel of apple mush. Don't forget to pick up an extra barrel if you still need to get coal-tar. Go back to Elena and give her the rotten apple. She will tell you to come back in a while once she has figured out the toxin. Speak to her after waiting a while and she gives you a bunch of instructions and a sieve.
11. If you didn't already get it, go to Isafdar to collect coal-tar from the swamp. Either hire a Charter Ship to Tyras Camp and pick up a barrel there, or bring an empty barrel and teleport to Lletya. Make your way to the swamp south of the Elf Tracker as you did in the Regicide quest, and use your Barrel on the swamp to get coal-tar. Check the Isafdar map for the exact location.
12. Once you have the coal-tar (Barrel), bring your coal and coal-tar to the Rimmington chemist.
Use your coal-tar Barrel on the fractionalizing still (just outside the house). Now left click it to operate. This window will pop up:
How does the the Fractionalizing Still work?
(You can also refer to the Regicide guide for a different approach to fractionalizing.)
13. What you need to do is add heat by placing 2 Coal in the furnace. Next you will need to add tar to start the distillation process (turn the right handle to the right). Once the pressure starts to rise into the red zone turn the right handle off (turn it to the left) and the pressure release on (turn it to the right). Once the pressure drops or is holding steady start over and do the same thing again, heat (add coal), tar flow on (right handle), tar flow off (right handle), release pressure (left handle), until the bar at the bottom is completely green. A Barrel of naphtha should now be in your inventory. (It might not appear until after you close the window.)
Note: If your pressure is holding steady, you've added coal and the green bar is not increasing, try turning the right handle to the left then back to the right.
14. Having conquered the evil Fractionalizing Still, teleport triumphantly to Ardougne (or any bank near a range).
15. Use the Barrel of naphtha with the Barrel of apple mush and then use the combined naphtha apple mix with the sieve to get solid toxic naphtha. Use the toxic naphtha on a Range. (Do NOT use a fire, it will cause the mixture to explode, damaging you and forcing you to start all over again.) You will get some toxic powder.
16. Return to West Ardougne and contaminate the food by using toxic powder with grain sacks. Locations: outside the General store (south-west corner of town) and at the upper floor of the church.
Go to the Head Mourner and talk to him and you are done. Congratulations.
Quest points: 2
This quest is a requirement for:
Tips, Tricks & Notes
Written by: Abomb67 and Empror1
Last updated: 10-Nov-2014
Will you use Menaphos to train your skills?
Help keep Tip.It alive, donate a bit to our site:
© 1999 - 2018 RuneScape Tips, all rights reserved. RuneScape® and Jagex® are trademarks of Jagex Ltd © 2000 - 2018 Andrew Gower.