Difficulty: Experienced Requirements: Hard Length: Short
Start location: North of Varrock, near the wilderness wall. Talk to Summer's spirit and choose to follow her.
Quests: Spirit of Summer
Skills: Level 47 Firemaking, Level 35 Hunter, Level 45 Mining, Level 55 Prayer, Level 23 Summoning, Level 23 Woodcutting
Jennica's ring and a summoning pouch made from a Blue charm. Consider bringing extra pouches to be sure.
Quests: As a First Resort... (use pool for extended 100% energy boost)
Items: Rune hatchet or better, Super energy potions, Amulet of glory, a one-click teleport and some good food such as Sharks, Tuna potatoes or Saradomin brews. Do NOT bring weapons and armour; you don't need them, and they will only weigh you down.
Monsters: Spirit Beast (level 190)
NPCs: Erik Bonde, Jallek Lenkin, Meranek Thanatos, Summer Bonde
Walkthrough hide »
Note: if you have to walk out or teleport out, feel free to do so - your accomplishments (a pyre lit, a core captured, a grave blessed) will be saved in each room for your return. Armour will not protect you, and the Beast hits players hard - this quest is not for the faint-hearted!
1. Make your way to the wilderness wall, north of Varrock. Talk to Summer's spirit and choose to follow her. Go through the portal to enter the spirit realm. You will be greeted by the village elders, who will tell you about the imminent danger of the Beast that had been feeding on them for centuries.
2. Go back to the real world, by equipping Jennica's ring and operating it while standing on the portal. Head north of the ruins. You should see a dungeon sign on the mini map. Enter the cave, and loot the skeleton near the entrance to obtain a Bronze pickaxe, a Mithril hatchet, a Spade and a Tinderbox. Leave the cave. Right-click on the cave entrance and choose the "collapse" option. This will open the cave in the spirit realm.
3. Go back to the ruins and use Jennica's ring to enter the spirit realm through the portal. Head north again.
4. Summon your blue charm familiar, and use it to lure the Beast to the cave entrance. Do not allow your familiar to fall behind too far, or it will be eaten by the Beast. When you, your familiar and the Beast are close to the cave entrance, go in.
5. Meranek's spirit will explain what you need to do with the Beast. Tell him you are not ready for the next part. Bank and top off your energy.
6. After banking, head back to the spirit realm and into the cave. You will notice that there are lots of tree roots along the walls. Tell the Meranek that you are ready.
7. As soon as you begin, the beast will start attacking you with projectiles, which can be dodged by moving away as they are fired. Note that the main projectile splits into several projectiles after hitting the ground. You will need to move more than a few squares to avoid the attack entirely.
8. You need to build and light three pyres. To set up a pyre, gather five cursed willow logs by chopping the tree roots found around the cave, and then use the logs on a fire pit. It is highly recommended that you set up all three pyres before you light them. Once you have set them up, light one and a small cutscene will follow. After that, light the other two pyres. The Beast's attacks will get more frequent and severe as the number of lit pyres increases.
9. Once you have lit the three pyres, the Beast will retreat to another room. Bank and top off your energy, unless you found the first room easy and still have a healthy supply of food left. You'll need a spade for the next part of the quest. If you don't want to bank but didn't bring a spade earlier, you can get one from the corpse near the cave's entrance.
10. Get the required items from your bank, make your way back to the cave and go to the room east of the room you initially entered. Jallek's spirit will brief you on what you need to do. When the battle begins, the Beast will barrage you with attacks as it did before.
11. You will notice that there are patches of soft soil scattered around the edge of the room. You need to dig a hole in such a patch, and lure the dark core into it. Do not touch the dark core - contact with the core will hurt you. If you are successful, the dark core will fall into the hole and a cutscene will ensue.
12. The second core is much the same as the first core, although the Beast attacks more frequently now. It is advised to move from soil patch to soil patch to avoid its attacks.
13. The third core is by far the trickiest. The Beast attacks much more frequently, and it will take quite a while before the dark core is released. The best way to dodge his attacks is to run around the room in circles, just outside the soil patches, and keep moving to avoid damage. His blast radius is now rather large and will hit you if you lag behind.
14. Once you have trapped the core three times, you are done with this room. Note that luring each core grants 250 xp in Hunter, for a total of 750xp. If you have more than twenty pieces of food left and are healthy and energetic enough for the final confrontation, proceed to the next room. If not, bank, stock up on food, and top off your energy.
15. This room is the trickiest of the three rooms. The goal of this room is to bless the grave currently containing a soul of the same colour as the Beast's attacks. This must be done once for each colour. The Beast signals the colour of its attack when it is charging it.
The three village elders will be transformed into coloured souls, which will rest for a while in a grave before moving to another. If the Beast is charging up a blue attack, you must bless the grave containing the blue soul, for example. You need at least 200 prayer points to bless a grave. If you run out of prayer points, there is an altar in the room you can use to recharge them.
16. The tricky part of the fight is that the souls frequently move between graves. This makes tracking down the correct grave somewhat harder, as the souls often move while you're busy dodging the Beast's attack.
Method 1: patiently walk around the room in circles, watching the colour of the Beast's attacks and the movements of the souls. When you're close enough to bless the right grave, do so - otherwise keep walking.
Method 2: watch a single coloured soul jump from one grave to another, and follow it. When the Beast attacks with that colour, bless the grave that your coloured soul is in.
17. Once the Beast is defeated, speak with the spirits of the village elders. They will offer to take you outside for your reward. Accept the offer, and speak with them again. After the conversation, you will be given the spirit shield as a reward, along with improvements to Jennica's ring. Quest complete!
Quest points: 1
This quest is a requirement for:
Tips, Tricks & Notes
Written by: chenw2
Last updated: 09-Nov-2013
Will you use Menaphos to train your skills?
Help keep Tip.It alive, donate a bit to our site:
© 1999 - 2017 RuneScape Tips, all rights reserved. RuneScape® and Jagex® are trademarks of Jagex Ltd © 2000 - 2017 Andrew Gower.