Dealing with Scabaras
Difficulty: Master Requirements: Hard Length: Short
Start location: Speak with the High Priest in the Temple of Icthlarin in Sophanem.
Skills: Level 50 Agility, Level 21 Firemaking, Level 60 Strength, Level 60 Thieving
Skills: Level 60 Crafting, High Firemaking Level
Walkthrough hide »
1. Speak to the High Priest in the Temple of Icthlarin in the south-west of Sophanem. He has grave news - the corpse of a strange-looking woman has come from Menaphos, and he needs you to identify her.
2. He sends you upstairs to look at the corpse, but when you go up the ladder, you won't recognise her. The High Priest says he will go ahead with the embalming process, which you cannot really help with. As the High Priest begins talking, the woman, Maisa, wakes up.
3. After the High Priest leaves, speak to Maisa and ask her why she's in Sophanem. Maisa wishes to avenge Kaleef's death, but doesn't have the time. Thus, she wants you to enter the system of tunnels, accessible from the east coast of the desert, above where Kaleef was killed and basically kill everything in sight. To diplomatically protect herself and Al Kharid, however, she needs you to speak to the High Priest.
4. Head down the ladder and talk to him. The High Priest is fine with killing off Scabarites, but asks that you attempt to reason with the High Priest of Scabaras rather than simply murdering him. He suggests you go east to find the archaeologists who had spoken to him about the Scabarites.
5. Exit Sophanem through the gate in the south-east corner of the city and head straight east past the level 89 crocodiles until you enter the swampland. Any path except the southernmost one will work, simply head North until you get to the stairs, pushing through any reeds that block your path.
6. Climb over the fallen pillar and head north to the archaeologist's camp. Speak to the lead archaeologist, Abigail, who needs you to deal with Simon Templeton on their behalf. To prove you are able, she will test you with basic arithmetic. The questions are straightforward, simply use a calculator if you run into any problems and always remember to round down (meaning you should ignore any decimals completely).
7. Speak to Abigail again to find out what Templeton is requesting, which will always be a number of ancient bronze items (different for each player), a pyramid top from the Agility Pyramid, and ten gold trinkets (noted or unnoted) from Pyramid Plunder. Abigail realises that ancient bronze items may be hard to come by, so she suggests using 'modern' bronze items and simply using camel dung on them while in the desert. She provides an empty crate to put the distressed bronze items in when you obtain them. (To make a permanent shortcut to and from the plateau, see the Tips section.)
8. Obtain or make whatever bronze items were requested. In any desert effect area (not in a city), use the bucket of camel dung on each bronze item to 'distress' it. Put the oxidised items into the crate. (Refer to the Tips section if you do not have Level 60 Crafting.)
Bring all of the items to Simon Templeton at the Agility Pyramid and tell him you've come to deliver artefacts. Give him each set of items, and when he has them all he will give you a receipt.
9. Return to the archaeologists atop the plateau and talk to Abigail. She checks your receipt, then mentions they still need some research materials which can be obtained by killing mummies, zombies, and skeletons in the area north of them.
10. Kill any of these creatures until you've collected all four unique pieces of information - note that it is possible to receive the same Scabarite note page multiple times. Copy all the information into the log and return to Abigail.
11. Abigail will reward your work with a key to the dungeon north of her. She warns you that entering this dungeon is likely to expose you to disease, monsters and death... and of course heaps of valuable loot. After she gives you the key, she will help you fill in the Scabaras research with plenty of backstory notes.
12. As the fearsome adventurer you are, go north and head down the stairs and speak to the Clay Golem. He will be able to help you pull the four levers if you stoke the furnace north of him. Remove fuel from the Storage box west of the furnace to obtain a regular log, a teak log, and a magic log. Use the highest level log you can with the furnace (Regular requires 21 Firemaking, Teak requires 55 Firemaking, Magic requires 95 Firemaking) and the inbuilt mechanism will ignite them.
13. Speak to the Golem again to have him give power to the levers. The first lever he provides power to will receive the most power, and each successive lever will receive less. You must distribute the power between all four rooms before you end the conversation. You should give the most power to the levers which require your weakest skills:
14. After having the Golem distribute the power, pull each of the levers. If you fail to pull the lever in any room, you will need to put a log in the furnace and have the Golem distribute the power again. Should you run out of logs, you will have to provide your own.
Take Me To Your Leader
15. After successfully activating all levers, you will be able to progress West into the old stronghold of Ullek. You must now find the High Priest of Scabaras in this maze-like dungeon. The dungeon is filled with traps and high level Scabarites, all seeking to harm you. Run as far West as you can until you come upon the room with the High Priest in it.
16. When you enter the high priest's room, you will start a cut scene involving a chat about you converting to their religion. Ask about conversion and begin asking questions - at times he will suddenly 'go mad' and attack you, simply protect against what he is attacking you with until he stops. He may summon Scarab Swarms (Level 98) and can poison you through protection, so kill the swarms and heal up the poison. Occasionally he may disappear for no reason - this may be a glitch. Simply exit the room and enter again to have him return. Eventually, he will 'come to his senses' and vow to not bother anyone anymore.
17. Return to the High Priest in Sophanem and tell him of the good news. (Use optional Relicym's Balm after leaving dungeon to halt stat reduction from disease, wear an Inoculation Brace to protect fro 275 disease damage or just wait it out and avoid combat until you heal.) The High Priest will reward you for your services, completing the quest.
Quest points: 1
This quest is a requirement for:
Tips, Tricks & Notes
Written by: SaidinWoT
Last updated: 10-Nov-2013
Will you use Menaphos to train your skills?
© 1999 - 2021 RuneScape Tips, all rights reserved.
RuneScape® and Jagex® are trademarks of Jagex Ltd © 2000 - 2021 Andrew Gower.