Difficulty: Novice Requirements: Beginner Length: Short
Start location: Ariane at the entrance to the Wizard's Tower, just south of Draynor Village.
Magic book set to Standard spells.
Walkthrough hide »
The Warning Unheard
1. Head to the Wizard's Tower just south of Draynor Village and speak with Ariane, located at the Tower's entrance. She will ask you to speak to Archmage Sedridor on her behalf to warn him of an impending danger to the tower.
2. As you make your way to the beam, a cut scene will play, showing the Tower Library being attacked by a magical vortex. Head inside and pick up the tower mindspike (air) off the ground and equip it to cast wind rush at the magical vortex. Lure it towards the power beam at the center of the room to banish it.
3. Head back to Ariane to ask her what happened, then speak with the various wizards in the tower to learn of any suspicious activity that has recently occurred. You can ascend and descend through the tower by using the power beam at the center of each floor.
4. After speaking to all the wizards, return to Ariane to inform her what you've learned from them. She will mention that the current tower is built over the ruins of the old tower, and that you will need a key to unlock the door to head down there and investigate the source of the magical vortices. Rumour has it that the spell "Water Surge" is that very key, but many have tried and failed. Head back to the tower and speak to Wizard Ellaron to find out how you can get inside the old tower.
5. Wizard Ellaron will tell you to go down to the Tower Library to learn how you can open the door to the old tower. Search the bookcases in the library for The Harmony of the Runes and The Runes of the Spells of Water. Read both books, and then right-click "View Diagram" on each book to see the attachments.
6. Head to the organ on the south end of the tower's ground floor. Sit at the organ and use the diagram as a guide to trigger a mechanism in the organ to receive the key to the old tower. When you have played the correct sequence of notes, the Wizards' Tower basement key will appear on the screen. Click on it to place in your inventory, then go outside of the tower to speak with Ariane again.
7. After showing Ariane the key, follow her to the east side of the tower's island. A series of stone slabs there will lead down to a door. Unlock the door with the key to enter the Wizard's Tower's basement.
Into the Past
8. You and Ariane will appear in the Chamber of Shrines, where the four orders of Wizards--Blue, Red, Green, and Grey--once met, and wizards joining the tower would pledge their allegiance to one of the four orders. Head west to speak with the Rune guardian standing by the door to the rest of the tower. It will ask you a series of questions to determine which order you belong to before letting you proceed. If you do not like the order you were placed in, you may retake the test.
9. After the Rune guardian steps aside, go through the doorway. You will find the staircase has collapsed a short distance away. Click on the statue nearby to climb behind it to use it to make a bridge across the gap. Once you've crossed the "bridge," enter the next doorway.
10. Speak to Ariane to learn that you are in the central spell-casting chamber where the wizards performed their most powerful rituals. She will tell you to lure one of the vortices into the magical circle she's conjured so that she may examine in. Use the tower mindspike (air) to cast Air Strike and carefully lure the vortex in the circle, keeping it there while Ariane examines it. You will learn that the vortices are actually soul fragments of the wizards that once occupied the old tower, and that an enchantment that once kept them in the ruins was dispelled.
11. Head back upstairs to stop Archmage Sedridor from casting the Icyenic Purge while Ariane works on restoring the enchantment in the tower's ruins. Archmage Sedridor will ignore you, so go to the organ and start playing random keys on the two lower keyboards to distract him and the other wizards from performing the ritual. When the ritual has finished, head back outside to speak with Ariane to complete the quest.
Quest points: 1
This quest is a requirement for:
Tips, Tricks & Notes
Written by: ForsakenMage, Ks Jeppe
Last updated: 19-Nov-2013
Will you use Menaphos to train your skills?
© 1999 - 2023 RuneScape Tips, all rights reserved.
RuneScape® and Jagex® are trademarks of Jagex Ltd © 2000 - 2023 Andrew Gower.